The summer transfer window is approaching, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumors, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: PSG among options for Arsenal’s Pepe
Despite Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang‘s departure to Barcelona in January and both Alexandre Lacazette and Edward Nketiah coming to the end of their contracts next month, the 26-year-old Pepe is set to leave the Emirates this summer.
The Ivory Coast international became a club-record signing when he joined the North London side for £72 million from Lille in 2019. Since then, he has struggled to find form in the Premier League, scoring just 16 goals in 80 appearances. With Mikel Arteta preferring to start Bukayo Saka on the right wing this season, most of his appearances have been made off the bench.
The winger has been reportedly offered to many clubs, starting with PSG, who are looking to replace Angel Di Maria. However, the winger could be difficult to offload this summer, as he remains in contract until 2024 and reportedly earns around £140,000 per week.
11.28 BST: A partnership led by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly has completed its takeover of Premier League club Chelsea in a deal worth up to £4.25 billion.
The deal was formally announced on Saturday, bringing Roman Abramovich’s 19-year tenure to an end and freeing Chelsea from restrictions relating to sanctions imposed on their former owner for alleged ties to Russia president Vladimir Putin.
Chelsea will now be granted a new license to compete in the 2022-23 season, bringing to an end three months of uncertainty during which it was feared the club might cease to exist.
Chelsea had been unable to acquire or unload players or renegotiate contracts with existing squad members while operating under a special license, contributing to the impending departures of Antonio Rudiger to Real Madrid and Andreas Christensen to Barcelona.
Sources have told ESPN’s Jame Solley that Chelsea’s new owners are expected to back coach Thomas Tuchel with significant funds to improve the squad while contract negotiations with players, including midfield trio N’Golo Kante, Jorginho and Mason Mountwill now resume. Further restrictions that prevented the club’s megastore and stadium hotel from opening will also now be lifted
10.41 BST: Angel Correa “has opened the door to leaving Atletico (Madrid),” Marca reports, claiming the forward is “tired” of being left out of the starting XI in key matches.
Correa, 27, made ten Champions League appearances for Atletico this season, but seven of them came as a substitute, including both legs of their quarter-final with Manchester City.
The Argentina international only renewed his contract at the Wanda Metropolitano in January, signing a new deal until 2026.
Correa has impressed when he’s featured, but faces competition from Joao Felix, Antoine Griezmann and Matheus Cunha in attack, while Atletico are expected to look to bring in another forward this summer to replace the departing Luis Suarez.
09.49 BST: A number of Premier League clubs are eyeing up a summer move for Braga centre-back David Carmosources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
The 22-year-old is highly rated in Portugal and has been called up to Fernando Santos’ squad for their Nations League games against Spain, Switzerland and Czech Republic in June.
Sources told ESPN that a bid of around €25 million would secure a move away from Braga, with a number of English clubs having already registered their interest.
Manchester United are among the clubs looking for a left-footed centre-back this summer to bring more balance to their defense and have placed Villarreal centre-back Pau Torres on their shortlist of options.
09.00 BST: Antonio Conte is expected to stay on as Tottenham Hotspur head coach next season following positive talks with the club’s managing director Fabio Paratici in Turin on Friday, sources have told ESPN.
Despite qualifying for next season’s Champions League with a 5-0 win at Norwich City on the final day of the Premier League campaign, Conte was coy over his future as he sought discussions over the club’s ambitions for next season.
Spurs have since announced a cash injection of £150m ($187.64m) from the club’s majority shareholder, Enic, to help provide “greater financial flexibility and the ability to further invest on and off the pitch.”
After questioning his own value to the club as their top four hopes faded earlier in the campaign, sources have told ESPN that Conte has demanded as many as six summer signings to transform the club into Premier League title challengers.
Conte, who has won league titles with Juventus, Inter Milan and Chelsea, wanted to see that level of ambition reflected by the board, Paratici and chairman Daniel Levy, once all parties had a few days’ holiday to reflect on the situation.
– Olley: Tottenham must give Conte whatever he wants
PAPER GOSSIP (by Abbie Ingham)
– Newcastle United are keen on Bayer Leverkusen winger Moussa Diabyreports the Telegraph. The 22-year-old, who registered 17 goals and 14 assists in 42 appearances this season, is valued well above £40m. Due to his contract expiring in 2025, it is likely the Bundesliga side will look to negotiate a substantial fee.
– Juventus are set to terminate Aaron Ramsey‘s contract when he returns from Rangers, reports TuttoSport. The Serie A side are prepared to cut their losses and release the 31-year-old from his £400,000-a-week contract 12 months early. Ramsey missed his penalty in the Europa League final loss to Eintracht Frankfurt.
– Arsenal and Leicester are among several Premier League sides who are interested in young Chelsea star Levi Colwillreports Goal. The 19-year-old has impressed on a loan spell to Huddersfield Town, making 36 appearances for the Championship side so far this season. The Terriers will take on Nottingham Forest in the Championship play-off final on Sunday.
– Bath and Everton are set to lead race for New York City FC forward Valentin Castellanosaccording to Tuttomercato. The 23-year-old, who has been closely linked to Bologna, scored 23 goals in 36 matches for NYCFC last season are their way to winning the MLS Cup. River Plate have already had a €14m bid turned down for the in-form striker.
– Fenerbahce are interested in permanently signing Trezeguet from Aston Villa, reveals Ekrem Konur. The 27-year-old, who is currently on loan from the Premier League side, scored six goals and assisted three in his 13 appearances in the Super Lig this season. The side from Istanbul reportedly leads interest from Turkish rivals, alongside clubs from Spain, France and Italy.